Create the chaos
Pendulate’s chaotic oscillator is based on the physics of a double pendulum. What initially looks like randomness contains underlying patterns, interconnectedness, constant feedback loops, repetition, self-similarity, fractals, and self-organization. When designing the Pendulate oscillator we took great care to bring out these underlying patterns to create something both chaotic and musical.
Control the chaos
Pendulate’s chaotic oscillator is matched with a wavefolder and low pass gate inspired by the ideas of legendary synthesizer designer, Don Buchla. These three modules, oscillator, wavefolder and gate, combine to make everything from warm basses to searing leads.
Modulate the chaos
Every parameter in Pendulate’s three modules can be modulated by Pendulate's Envelope Generator, LFO, or by MIDI and MPE sources. The innovative modulation interface allows you to easily and quickly patch any combination of sources to any destination, creating sounds that are sure to make you move with them.
- Novel chaotic oscillator based on the double pendulum makes sounds you’ve never heard before, but will want to hear again
- Wavefolder based on the one in the Buchla 259 Complex Waveform Generator, adding MIX and CUTOFF
- Low Pass Gate based on the Buchla 292 adds controls for POLES and RESONANCE
- Innovative modulation UI allows modulation over every control from the main page, allowing up to 169 simultaneous modulation routings
- MPE support allows amazing control from innovative new controllers
- Envelope and LFO each have multiple outputs generated at once, like a modular synth should
- Modulation! Every mod output to every control means up to 221 modulation points in an intuitive single pane
- Animations! The Double Pendulum, Wavefolder, and Low Pass Gate modules each have animations to show how each module responds to your input, and to modulation
- Three unique color schemes to customize your look
- 136 Presets including artist presets from Matt Lange and Matthew Wang
Pendulum is based on a new oscillator concept that was created because I was curious what a double pendulum would sound like when translated into sound. A double pendulum is a simple mechanical system that is chaotic, i.e. what it does in the future is difficult to predict from what it did in the past. The initial system didn't sound very musical, but after much fine-tuning it sounds really great and really interesting, and you can still hear that today.
Price and availability
The Pendulate Chaotic Monosynth is currently available for free download. More information about this topic can be found on the manufacturer's website.